Mama B & the Boys

Boys are truth with dirt on their face, beauty with a cut on its finger, wisdom with bubble gum in its hair, and the hope of the future with a frog in its pocket.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Past Due Updates

Some of you already know about Brady's Pulmonary Functions Test, but for those of you who dont here is and update.

Brady has his PFT on February 24th. He had to be put to sleep for the test. I got to stay with him and rock him while he fell asleep. I loved being there with him but the lifeless feeling he got once the medicine took over placed very heavy weights on my heart.

The way the test is done is they place the baby in this little box and wrap a vest around them. The vest then makes the baby breathe when its wants the baby to breathe since you cant tell the baby when to inhale and exhale. They measure him in the box with out a lid and then during the test they close the lid and begin measuring that way. After a while they give a bronchodilator and see how the breathing responses to that. Once the test is over the baby is taken to recovery where they have to stay until they are semi-normal again.

The test took about and hour and half so Jesse, Jaren, and I went and grabbed lunch in the cafeteria and then Jesse and Jaren went back to the car to watch DVDs while I waited for them to call me to go to recovery.

When I got to go see Brady he was limp still but awake. He gave me a smile and I knew once the medicine wore off a little he would be fine. We were only in Phase I recovery for about half and hour and then they moved us to phase II. In phase II they had to give Brady a blow by because his oxygen kept dropping. He finally started bringing it up on his own, but he was so comfortable that he fell back asleep and they wouldn't let us leave until he was awake. We ended up being in recovery from 1145 until 315. It was a long day....

When I talked to the Pulomonologist who did the PFT he said that the test showed a mild defect and also a blockage in the small airways. When I talked to Bradys Pulmonologsit, she told me that the mild defect is that Bradys lungs are smaller than they are supposed to be because of the hernia that he had. The blockage actually responded to the bronchodilator that they gave him and he is on Pulmicort which is better than what they gave during the test so they think it will help with the blockage.

Right now we have to wait until the cardiac MRI to see what it shows before the pulmonologsit takes any more steps for tests or anything, so I'm anxious to see what it says. We go to that on the 22nd of March. He also has to be put to sleep for this as well. So please be praying for him as he goes through this.

Right now he is doing great. Hes rolling everywhere, trying to crawl, sitting up, playing with Jaren, and has developed a personality like no other. I love watching him and Jaren play together. They are soooo fun.

On Jaren--hes definitely going through a growth spurt. Why do I know this?!?! When he hits growth spurts hes very whiny at times and super clingy. His body aches and he lets us know by whining and it feels good to just cling to his Dad or me. He also gets very clumsy when he grows. Its funny I know, but the kid falls down about 50 times a day just tripping over his own feet while hes walking.

Hes getting so smart. He wakes up everyday wanting to learn something new or teach me something. He's always teaching me something, that's for sure.

I'm going to try to put some new pictures on here for everyone, but I'm not making any promises. I'm surprised I had time to sit down and type this. But I love you all and thank for you the prayers and for keeping up with everything going on with the Davis' right now.

If you made it through this post--God Bless you because I know now it was a rambling one =)

2 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Have really been thinking about you guys! Im glad you updated, I was wondering what's been going on with him and how he's been doing! Keep updating and in the meantime we'll keep praying for little Brady :)

March 2, 2010 at 10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't the infant pft just the scariest thing in the world? trevin started getting them done last year... I just wanna die when they medicate him. And of course Zach can't be there with me So I want you to know that you are not alone. We love you and your family very very much. let me know if you need anything...

March 2, 2010 at 6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home